Communications Specialist, Rescue Mission Alliance (April 2015 to present)
- Plan and write copy for multi-platform marketing campaigns, including mail, email, web, media outreach and social media.
- Manage and write foundation and government grants and grant reports, in consultation with other staff members and stakeholders.
- Plan and execute social media. (See the Rescue Mission on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.)
- Develop scripts, talking points and multi-media marketing materials for special events.
- Serve as the organization’s primary contact for news media; compose and distribute press releases.
- Produce the Rescue Mission’s annual report (PDF link) summarizing the programs and accomplishments of the organization.
- Write a newsletter featuring the personal stories of families and individual who have benefited from Rescue Mission programs.
- Interview Rescue Mission clients for video vignettes and assist with video production.
- Compose and update web copy at rescuemissionalliance.org
Freelance editor and writer, currently based in Syracuse, NY (January 2003 to April 2015)
- Edited books, brochures, interpretive signs, and special reports with numerous contributing authors.
- Researched and wrote in-depth articles and reports, as well as brief news columns and updates.
- Contributed entries for the National Wildlife Refuge System’s Facebook page.
- Served as guest editor for the Land Trust Alliance’s Fall 2010 edition of Saving Land.
- Edited books, including Documenting Biodiversity on Land Trust Projects, by Christopher Wilson (2011) and Mission, Planning and Capacity, by Jean Hocker (2006), both published by the Land Trust Alliance.
View writing samples, including feature articles, press releases, news columns and newsletters.
Associate, Beh Management Consulting, Boulder, CO (April 2011-April 2012)
- Planned and moderated in-person and virtual meetings for the Front Range Roundtable–a collaborative on forest management.
- Served as project manager for Roundtable working teams.
- Handled membership communications, including individual communications, list emails, news, meeting minutes and web updates.
- Responded to external inquiries and information requests.
- Assisted with grant writing.
- Produced PowerPoint meeting presentations.
- Supervised membership data maintenance.
- Compiled research and edited presentation material.
Editor of Exchange (now titled Saving Land), the Land Trust Alliance’s quarterly journal for nonprofit land conservation organizations, Washington, D.C. (January 1998 to November 2002)
- Managed the publication of Exchange, from planning to print. Developed article ideas, managed contributing writers and photographers, oversaw design and printing.
- Expanded the journal from 24 to 40 pages, adding more professionally researched and written articles and an “Ask an Expert” column.
- Wrote articles with practical information for nonprofit groups on a range of topics, including conservation easements, fund raising and database software.
- Extensively edited articles by contributors without professional writing skills, integrating other Alliance staff and outside experts into the review process, as needed.
- Managed additional publications, including an annual report on voter-driven land conservation initiatives across the nation.
- Assisted with press releases and media relations.
- Updated information on the Land Trust Alliance Web site.
- See a few of my Exchange articles about the economy, public access and more.
Editor, Export Today, Washington, D.C. (March 1996 to January 1998)
- Researched and wrote articles on international business topics such as supply chain management, manufacturing site selection, telecommunications, NAFTA and the shipping industry.
- Edited articles by other writers.
Business Editor, Greeley Tribune, a daily newspaper serving Weld County, CO, circ. 24,000 (October 1994 to February 1996)
- Covered local business news for daily editions.
- Organized and wrote weekly business section.
Reporter, Colorado Daily, a daily newspaper focusing on Boulder, CO, and the University of Colorado (February 1994 to October 1994)
- Covered daily news stories.
- Tailoring written pieces for target audiences.
- Grant writing, reports and management.
- Researching and distilling complex subject material.
- Heavy editing and fact-checking.
- Editorial management across digital and traditional platforms, including planning, scheduling, working with reviewers and external printers or vendors.
- Press releases and media relations.
- Editing for Associated Press Style or Chicago Style, and establishing and maintaining style guidelines within an organization.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, WordPress, HTML, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premier, PowerPoint and social media.
- Content creation for websites and social media.
- Facilitating meetings and handling logistics.
- Bachelor of Science degree in news/editorial, University of Colorado School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Graduated with honors
- Three-time recipient of the School of Journalism Dean’s Scholarship Award
- Studied a full year at the Université de Haute Bretagnes, Rennes, France